Saturday, August 27, 2011

Thoughts on life


I've spent the last month or so continually looking at different travel blogs to get a good idea of what's out there to see and do in different parts of the world. A very common theme I've stumbled across is many people going on a trip of the sort that I'm planning and they've either yet to return or they nearly immediately departed on a subsequent trip that has yet to finish. “Two years, one circumnavigation of the planet, one backpack, and still going” or “10 years and counting,” or “I left home on a three month trip to Asia that has yet to end” and even “Ran away from home at the age of sixteen and have travelled the last 8 years.” These are all things I've seen again and again on various travel blogs.

This is the lifestyle I've always wanted to do. I've always wished to find a way to travel from place to place without needing a trust fund or some sort of magical money tree. It seems that there's an availability to do all of this, albeit as long as you're willing to put the effort into it.

Things that I want to look into include teaching english, farm stays, WWOOFing, and various other things that can keep me going, traveling, seeing the real world that's out there. My reasons for doing this are because, basically, it's something I want to do. Why not? I want to find a sustainable way to be a modern nomad. Too many people sit at home and never go anywhere or do anything because they're either a) Afraid, or b) Think that they can't do it.

I don't want to be the “typical American” that listens to everything their Gov't tells them, watches TV like jersey shore and other stupid things, drinks the Kool-Aid, etc. etc. I'm not that, I wish I could say that I've never been that, but I used to be pretty closed minded, Mostly due to religion dictating how I thought, acted, etc. Since then though, I've been able to make significant progress in search of my “essential self.”

For example: Growing up, I was the kid that moved a lot. I was repeatedly the new kid. In addition to that, I was the kid that didn't have any good “grandparent stories.” you know the ones, your friends (or maybe even you, yourself) all talk of the times spent visiting the grandparents, getting outrageous jealousy inspiring gifts, and having an altogether good time.

I never had that in my life, and yet I'm better for it as I take much less for granted. What I've come to realize about myself is the uniqueness of my life isn't a bad thing. I was the kid with the not so nice grandparents, the new kid in town (or state), and the “weird kid” quite often as I tend to enjoy things based on whether or not I like them.

Moving on to adulthood, I've tried thinking quite long about where I'm supposed to fit in-
I really don't know yet.
I honestly have no idea where I belong in the world. Though I do know where I don't want to be. I don't want to be a typical 9-5er, or work in a cubicle and not go anywhere. My fear is getting trapped somewhere and not able to get out. I'm fairly certain this has something to do with my decision to take this trip.
Mostly this was a post on ideas that turned into thoughts on where I want to be. I'm trying to discover what I want to be/do with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Feel free to post a comment. (comments can be posted by anyone either registered or anonymous. Moderation in place to prevent spam.)