Monday, December 24, 2012

Winter Doldrums

Hi folks, 

It being winter now, and 140ish days away from my trip, I've found that I'm in a bit of a "winter doldrums" state. I'm excited for my trip, but the immediate excitement of having bought the tickets, made sure my passport is good to go, and making sure I've got my money set aside (or will be set aside once I get the rest of it), most of that excitement has worn off. I'm left in the "concerned" state that's left over.
The concerns of "am I not planning enough? am I crazy for having done this? Am I even going to make it through this trip alive?" every little comment from friends and family are in my head because I'm into my winter break and have nothing better to think about. I've triple checked my flight reservation, my bus ticket is right next to me with my passport and extra copies. I've got my backpack ready to go, some little things packed in it already (extra bits and the dry-sacks, stuff I don't need for daily life). I think I'm just having too much time to think about the trip while actively trying not to think about it.

Right now, I'm looking at (hoping to have) about $2000 to spend for everything while I'm there. My transport in and out of country are covered already, bringing the total for the trip to about $3500 (1250 flights/bus, 250 insurance, 2000 in country money). I'm looking at $33-37 per day for accommodation and food and things to do. From what I've been told, this will be fine for Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam  I would LOVE to pick up a motorbike in Vietnam and ride from one end to the other, which I've also been told is doable, but I'd need to take some more money. either way, this is looking to be an amazing trip, and I'm just sitting here over-thinking things. 

In my personal life, I managed to get good grades in my university classes, so that's going well. I'm double majoring in Environmental Geology and Comprehensive Crisis Response with an idea of going to the US Peace Corps after graduation. This trip will be a good test of whether or not I can handle a headfirst dive into a culture different from my own while still leaving me a safety net of sorts. 

anyway, happy holidays or whatever doesn't offend you and may you find tranquility in the new year.
-An Effort in Tranquility  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Feel free to post a comment. (comments can be posted by anyone either registered or anonymous. Moderation in place to prevent spam.)